Wednesday, December 30, 2015

The Party Has Started

Christmas has come and gone, and we had a wonderful time spending the time with our family and friends! Our kids had a magical time and our currently enjoying Christmas break! After having good results last week about my tests I was able to relax knowing that the cancer has not spread outside my breast and armpit lymph nodes. Also a more relaxed mind knowing the game plan and not having the I don't know worry.

Monday we met again with my oncologist and reviewed all test results. The biggest concern other than my breast cancer were the 3 nodules on my thyroid which they biopsied last week. The results came back benign (not cancer), and I learned that they are a super common finding and they are not concerned. Also, ct scan, bone scan, and echo test all normal!! Mind still at ease. They tell me I'm young and healthy and that I can do this! I pray daily that they are right!

Tuesday my girlfriends and I decided to celebrate my birthday a little early (since I don't foresee NYE and NYD to be too eventful this year). We went out for lunch and headed to the wig shop! I have been dreading facing the fact that I have to lose my hair, but having my girlfriends their with me turned out to be a lot more fun than I thought! I picked out a very natural looking wig that looks very much like my current hairstyle. The wigs they make these days are so gorgeous! The hair feels exactly like real hair, and you can trim them, straighten them, and curl them! I was really impressed. So here is a pic of my new do (except I didn't get this color although I was tempted). I went with my blonde since I've always been a blonde and that's who I am. 

So that brings us to the present... Here I am sitting in my new recliner getting my first chemo treatment. I'm almost done. I got here at 9:15 and should be done in the next 20-30 minutes. So a 6 hour day of chemo! Yikes. Good thing I have Ryan here and even got some surprise visitors from Nicole, Jill, and Krissy :) My girl friends are ALL the BEST! I know I have 150% support from them all! Krissy even got 500 hot pink "Angie Strong" bracelets, so if you want one let me know! 



Each chemo will not be this long (so they tell me) should be more like 4 hours. I will come here and do chemo once every 3 weeks. The plan is to do 3 chemo cycles (each cycle is 21 days). I get 4 drugs at each chemo (they are called Perjecta, Herceptin, Taxotere, and Carboplatin). After my 3 cycles they will rescan me and if it has worked well I will move on to surgery next. My plan is to do a double mastectomy and reconstructive surgery all at once if possible. I have appointments here in Waterloo and with the surgeons in Iowa City this month. So, I have not made up my mind as to where I will have the surgery done yet. After surgery I will follow up with 3 more chemo cycles. That's the plan! 

At this point as I sit here in the chemo chair and I feel fine! Not feeling anything at this point. We shall see how the next 72 hours go, so pray for positive side effects (well I'm not sure the side effects are positive so let's go with minimal side effects). Thanks again to everyone for following my story and for ALL your support! It means the world!

Until next time,
Angie





4 comments:

  1. Aww! Your girlfriends are the best Angie! You're so blessed! Herschel & I definately want an Angie bracelet. Let us know how much they are and we'll get them when we see you next. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear all the positives. Stay strong and positive and you will be fine. Drop off a bracelet if you ever have time, i would be proud to wear it. Enjoy the small things (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been thinking about !! Lots of extra prayers coming your way!! Love the wig!! I'd love a Angie bracelet .. Stay positive my friend ! I know you will pass through this with flying colors ❗️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keeping you and Mom in my prayers! The power of prayer is very strong. If you are as strong as your Mom, you will be kicking cancer's butt! You can do it. I love your positive attitude! Robyn Lane

    ReplyDelete