Saturday, January 23, 2016

Round 2 of Chemo in the Books..

Hello all! What a week it has been! First of all, I had another great week! I've been feeling like I don't have cancer at all! I am not going to complain about that!

Last Saturday I took the plunge and shaved my head 🙈. My hair was out of control falling out and I even developed a significant bald spot right on the top of my head so it was time. My loving husband got out his clippers, cut off as much hair as he could, and then shaved the rest. I can't even believe I am saying this, but it was a relief! There were no tears on my part, and I still haven't cried about it. Probably since I get so many compliments on "Raquel" (aka my wig) and quite honestly, "Raquel" looks better than my real hair did! I'm getting used to wearing the wig in public, but at home, it's beanies and stocking hats. I'm handling the psychological shock of being a long haired blonde to a butch pretty well I'd say. It is what it is!

Thursday was round 2 of chemo. Like the first round, no bad side effects right away and so far so good. Since I did get quite ill one week after my first round of chemo, they have started me on the Neulasta shot right away to prevent my white blood cell counts from falling so low. I am also going to get fluids early next week since that seemed to perk me up before. I'm confident that they are trying to stay ahead of the "low point" this time around. The other positive news I received was that they believe the chemo is working! Dr. Masri said he can tell a difference already just by feeling my lymph node, and it isn't as large or inflamed as before! Praise GOD and all your prayers! 

Yesterday (Friday), Ryan and I went down to Iowa City and met with the breast surgeon group at the University of Iowa. We also met with the plastic surgeon group as well. It was a long day, but well worth our time! We received so much information that I couldn't possibly lay out all in this blog, but we both agree that Iowa City is where we will be most comfortable having surgery when that time comes. I will continue my chemo treatments here in Waterloo. No one disagrees that I am being treated incorrectly, so why change something that is working right? I am very happy we sought out that second opinion. Dr. Sugg also did a breast exam and said to me that she feels very little tumor which tells me that hopefully the chemo is shrinking the mass! I was very happy to hear this!

I am feeling really good, but need to take it easy this next week. They told me that I would likely feel some bone and muscle pain this morning when I wake up (from the Neulasta shot), but I don't so far! I am beyond excited that my mom and dad are coming today to see me! I haven't seen them since Christmas or since my mom and I started our chemo. She is feeling great as well, so we are planning on spending some time together. We need to take advantage of the time we are feeling well and spend time together. I can't wait to see them!

So I wasn't sure if I was going to share some photos or not, but I know you are all dying to see what I look like bald... I'm not sure what to call this look.... GI Jane?? Charlize Theron? I've been told I look like a bad ass, fierce, or that I have a really nice shaped head...lol! So meet my bald self.. I'm not ready to rock the look publicly, so if you see me out and about I will likely be Wiggin' it or have a stocking hat on this time of year in Iowa... Enjoy!!



Angie

4 comments:

  1. You're looking beautiful, Angie!! You've got this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are beautiful and an amazing women! Keep smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie, you really are a pretty gal and you DO have a nicely shaped head! :-) Stay strong, keep your faith and know that so many are praying for you! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look fantastic! Definitely a BA!! You are rockin' it. Thanks for the update, we are continually praying for you. :)

    Katy Clapham

    ReplyDelete